Job Title: Energy Analyst
Decatur Utilities seeks skilled, innovative, creative and team-oriented employees. Our commitment to you is competitive pay for services performed, excellent fringe benefits, the opportunity for new learning experiences, safe working conditions and a work environment that is open and fair to all of its employees.
If this is the type of environment that interests you and the position matches your qualifications, please visit our website and complete our employment application.
Mailing: P.O. Box 2232, Decatur, AL 35609
Salary Range/Grade: $ 2,103.15 bi-weekly – Grade 10
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Statement: Administers all natural gas supply and pipeline contracts to include verifying all invoices and billing, assist in setting natural gas rates, procuring natural gas, managing natural gas pipeline contracts and needs, assists in setting and verifying electric rates and communicating with industrial customers concerning utility rates and business needs. Works with industrial customers and economic development agencies concerning utility rates, new development and expansion.
- Plans for and procures natural gas for the total system needs.
- Coordinates natural gas nominations for the system’s requirements with the Utilities’ natural gas agent and appropriate utility employees.
- Coordinates transportation volumes with the Utilities’ industrial customers that are eligible for transportation service.
- Monitors the NYMEX to purchase future natural gas system supply needs.
- Reconcile the natural gas invoices from the pipeline suppliers and natural gas marketer/agent.
- Works with the Utilities Billing Workgroup to insure customers are accurately billed and all cost accounted for.
- Stay abreast of natural gas market data, long term forecast, industry developments, FERC rulings and regulations and the Utilities pipeline supplier’s rate cases and other related information to make educated purchasing decisions.
- Knowledgeable of the Utilities’ Electric Rate Structure and assist with the development of Electric Rates.
- Attends various TVA and TVPPA meetings to stay abreast of electric rates and industry related changes.
- Attends various natural gas and pipeline meetings to stay abreast of the natural gas industry rates and regulations.
- Make contact and visit with the Utilities’ large industrial customer base concerning all utility rates, energy needs and expansion requirements.
- Communicates and makes presentations as needed to the Municipal Utilities Board, City Council and other business entities in a professional manner.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to provide excellent customer service.
- EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Business or Engineering-related field of study from an accredited college or university. Minimum of five years of experience required in natural gas or electric procurement. Utility industry experience preferred.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Ability to read and interpret natural gas market data, long term forecasts, rate structure data and reports generated from groups such as the NYMEX, financial reports, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondences. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organizations, Municipal Utilities Board, City Council and other business entities.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, measurements, basic algebra and geometry to practical situations.
- REASONING/JOB COMPLEXITY
Job requires substantial judgment and analytic ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form to perform somewhat complex calculations, estimations, and forecasts, solve minor problems and organize information for reports.
- COMPUTER SKILLS
Ability to use computers for basic customer inquiries, email, database tracking and spread sheet applications including Microsoft Office and SCADA Systems.
Ability to use very high level of judgment to accurately define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions and provide valid solutions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to read, interpret and understand technical standards, permits, regulations and codes for utility compliance.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
No significant physical demands; has discretion about walking, sitting and standing. Job occasionally requires stooping or bending and some very light lifting of files, office supplies or mail up to 20 pounds may be required. Office environment setting with no major source of discomfort.
- CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, TRAINING
Valid Alabama Driver’s License, Customer Service Skills, Supervisory/Leadership Skills and applicable safety training as scheduled.
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Available to work scheduled and unscheduled times to accommodate work demands and emergency situations; good organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously; willing to attend meetings, conferences and training related to responsibilities of this position to enhance job knowledge and skills; maintain professional business appearance and image; subject to random drug testing and driver’s license checks.
Decatur Utilities is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All applications will be considered in a fair and equal manner without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, disability, national origin, veteran status, genetic or family medical history, disability or any other status protected by law.