CITY OF CALERA
Job Title: Gas System Trainee
Department: Public Works – Gas
Job Description Prepared: March 2001
Note: Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in general the duties and responsibilities of this job and are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive. The employee may be assigned other duties that are not specifically included.
Reports to: Gas Superintendent
Subordinate Staff: None
Other Internal Contacts: Other Department Employees
External Contacts: Contractors; Homeowners
Under the immediate supervision of a more experienced worker, the employee assists gas operators with assigned tasks. Is assigned progressively more complex duties based on experience and certification levels.
A. Assistance to Equipment Operators
- Spots for backhoe operator; warns when equipment approaches any type of utility lines.
- Locates gas lines using pipe horn.
B. New Pipe Line Construction
- Cuts off existing caps and butt fuses new line to existing line.
- Lays new line as far as necessary.
- Welds fittings (saddles) electrofuses to main line.
- Caps end of line.
- Places line in ditch up to cap; tests for leaks and then backfills ditch.
- Uses stab fittings to connect customer service line to main line, sets risers and attaches to customer service line and riser; checks for leaks.
- Buries the service line and sets the meter and regulator.
- Checks flow of meter, uses PSI gauge and checks for leaks on the meter set.
- Uses CGI machine to detect leaks and reads gauge to determine highest concentrations.
- Uses flame pack to detect gas.
C. Repairing Leaks
- Locates leaks using detector and locates valve to shut of gas.
- Locates line using pipe horn and uses CGI machine to detect leak.
- Locates point of highest gas concentration.
- Manually excavates service line.
- Squeezes off main line or turns off valve.
- Cuts off broken line, prepares surfaces and electrofuses cupplings.
- Cuts gas back on and checks for leaks.
- Backfills area if joining successful.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
(* Can be acquired on the job)
- Ability to communicate with supervisors and co-workers.
- Reading skills to understand operator manuals, directives, procedures and instructions.
- Skills in basic math to read equipment gauges.
- Working knowledge of practices applies in the use of tractors with attachments for right-of-way maintenance operations.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations.
- Defensive driving skills.
- Ability to maintain and service assigned equipment.
- Ability to work overtime and weekends in emergencies.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Certified in butt welding, electrofusion, mechanical fitting, stab cupplings and
saddle fusion or the ability to become certified within required time period.